土曜日, 7月 19, 2008

Just Dance - Lady GaGa



Don't make any mistake, this song is good. You know, for what it is. It's... after I heard it I thought, "Wow, I've heard this song before. What is it..."

.

.

.

.

Oh yeah.


This is another very good song. It's on my usual iPod rotation. Hip hop historians of course remember in the early 90's there was some serious criticism of this kind of gangsta rap for "dumbing down" rap. Critics often cite the violent or hedonistic topics. But more or less this has become the usual idea of mainstream rap. We expect to hear on the radio this kind of hip hop.

When did dance music become this same way? Of course dance music is not completely innocent. The 1996 ghetto-tech anthem "Ass and Titties" by DJ Assault (I won't link it. It doesn't matter about the topic, it's just a bad song) certainly is not innocent, but similar to hip hop there is a trend of as the usual club electronic music is becoming mainstream it is also glorifying an irresponsible and dangerous lifestyle. Just Dance is a song about becoming excessively intoxicated (or high) and then encouraging to forget responsibility for themselves and enjoy this moment. Where is the backlash from electronic music purists? Rather than critic the topic, often it's a complaint about their favorite genre "selling out" and becoming mainstream.

It seems that this kind of music is what the mainstream audience wants. I prefer an old skool sound.